Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Becky Lavelle's Santa Cruz Race Report.

SANTA CRUZ SPRINT TRI ~ August 9. 2009
This race was a must do on my schedule this year as the race director, Penni Bengston, graciously offered to donate her proceeds to Jenny's Light (www.jennyslight.org), a foundation my family and I set up to help spread awareness of perinatal mood disorders, including postpartum depression.
I can't remember the last time I did a sprint race, but I was excited for a short fast race. It was a beautiful morning, sunny and quite warm for Santa Cruz! There were some descent size waves greeting us as we ran into the water, but luckily I got through them quickly and exited the swim in under 7 minutes. It was about a 1/4 mile run to the transition so I left some crocs near the swim exit and ran comfortably to T1. The 2 loop bike course was flat, fast and very scenic as half of it was right along West Cliff Dr overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I tried to build into each lap and felt pretty strong coming into T2. I knew that my father-in-law, Tim Lavelle, had started 10 minutes before me so my goal was to try to catch him on the run. He was running really well though and he definitely made me push a little harder the second half of the 5K run. I caught up to him with about 400m to go so it was fun to be able to cross the line together in just over an hour. The race had a great vibe and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves! A big thank you to all who participated and to Penni and www.finishlineproduction.com for honoring Jenny's Light. I'll be back next year... and I'll convince Brian to race too. ;)
Becky Lavelle
www.beckylavelle.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment